June 9–15, 2024, University of Massachusetts Amherst
In the event of program cancellation, any payments made (deposit, tuition, housing, manuscript consult) will be refunded in full.
For information regarding our COVID-19 safety guidelines, please visit our Community Page.
Every summer, the Juniper Institute gathers a community of writers to explore the creative process and develop new approaches to the craft of writing.
In association with the MFA Program for Poets & Writers at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, Juniper is a weeklong immersion in the writer’s life. It is time out for you and your writing, time for wild invention, and to become part of a community of acclaimed and emerging writers from all walks of life.
- Workshops are the heart of the Juniper Institute. Here writers focus on new work and/or work-in-progress with their workshop faculty and peers.
- Craft sessions offer writers a chance to talk with faculty and visiting poets and writers about varied topics, writers’ lives, books, and matters of craft including techniques, themes, and forms.
- New for 2024, we’re holding a series of One-Day Intensives: day-long deep dive into craft with one of our Alumni-in-Residence, celebrating 20 years of wild invention.
- The Juniper Institute reading series bring faculty and guest poets & writers together to read from their new and selected work. Readings are free and open to the public.
- Guest Writers provide the foundation for community-building and engaging in conversation around contemporary issues facing poets and writers today.
- Writing-focused social time includes write-ins and cocktail-hour open mics, which provide low-key opportunities for participants to mingle and meet new writer friends.
- You and your peers are what make Juniper great! Get your application ready for the June 2024 session!