COVID-19 Update: The Juniper Institute will not be held in June 2020.
We wish everyone good health and fortitude through this global pandemic. We look forward to running the institute next summer, June 13-19 2021. Stay tuned for updates.
Any payments made (deposit, tuition, housing, mss consult) will be refunded in full or, by request only, rolled over to 2021 enrollment.
For information regarding COVID-19 at UMASS Amherst at large, please visit https://www.umass.edu/coronavirus/
Every summer, the Juniper Institute gathers a community of writers to explore the creative process and develop new approaches to the craft of writing.
In association with the MFA Program for Poets & Writers at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, Juniper is a weeklong immersion in the writer’s life. It is time out for you and your writing, time for wild invention, and to become part of a community of acclaimed and emerging writers from all walks of life.
- Workshops are the heart of the Juniper Institute. Here writers generate new work and present that work, or other work-in-progress, to their faculty workshop leaders and peers.
- Craft sessions offer writers a chance to talk with faculty and visiting poets and writers about varied topics, writers’ lives, books, and matters of craft including techniques, themes, and forms.
- The Juniper Institute reading series bring faculty and guest poets & writers together to read from their new and selected work. Readings are free and open to the public.
- Guest Writers provide the foundation for community-building and engaging in conversation around contemporary issues facing poets and writers today.
- Writing-focused social time includes writing breakfasts and cocktail-hour open mics, which provide low-key opportunities for participants to mingle and meet new writer friends.
- You and your peers are what make Juniper great! Apply today for the June 2020 session!